The range-topping 2021 Isuzu D-Max X-Terrain is Isuzu’s “most advanced and feature packed ute ever” – it carries a driveaway price of $58,990.
Meet the new range-topping Isuzu D-Max X-Terrain which has been specced to take the fight to the likes of Ford’s Ranger Wildtrak and Toyota’s HiLux SR5 variant. Arriving in dealerships in September, the new X-Terrain variant carries an introductory driveaway price of $58,990 which undercuts the Wildtrak’s RRP by more than $6500. And it’ll be cheaper than a HiLux SR5 once you add in dealer charges too.
The new D-Max, and you can read more about it by clicking on these blue words, could arguably be called Australia’s most sophisticated dual-cab 4×4 combining the reliability of its 3.0L engine with the active safety, luxury and comfort most buyers expect from their dual-cab 4×4 these days.
The X-Terrain stands out from the range via “darkened treatments” on the front, side and rear spoilers, 18-inch alloys, pumped guards, side steps, roof rails and the grille. The D-Max is available in eight colours, but on this X-Terrain can be had in Volcanic Amber metallic. All lighting at the front is LED, with Bi-LED headlights, fog lights and DRLs. Finishing off the exterior of the X-Terrain model is an aero sports bar which isn’t, unfortunately, as useful as a regular sports bar, roller tonneau cover (manual) and tub liner.
Yes, the outside looks different but the interior is like night and day with a more premium and upmarket look to the design. This is, in part, thanks to the fact this new D-Max is a joint development with Mazda who clearly lent its interior design help and left Isuzu to the engineering side of things.
The interior boasts leather accented seats with the driver’s seat boasting eight-way power adjust with powered lumbar support. The steering wheel offers reach and rake adjustment. The dashboard is dominated by a new nine-inch infotainment screen which Isuzu claims is the highest-definition screen on any dual-cab 4×4 (until the BT-50 arrives, of course). The infotainment offers Apple and Android connectivity as well as native sat-nav and more.
Another massive step up for the D-Max is its Intelligent Driver Assistance System (IDAS) which, like Subaru’s EyeSight system boasts a binocular camera mounted at the top of the windscreen. IDAS employs an Hitachi 3D Stereo Camera that “actively detects other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists” and includes autonomous emergency braking with turn assist (meaning it’ll stop you from trying to turn in front of someone), Adaptive Cruise Control, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Keep Assist, 8-airbags including a knee and first-in-class, centre airbag (which deploys from the roof forming a cushion in the middle of the cabin).
The D-Max X-Terrain also boasts a smart-key which offers Remote Engine Start, Smart Keyless Entry, Push Button Start, Welcome Light, and Walk Away Door Lock. Isuzu said the Smart Key keeps the vehicle locked if the Smart Key is more than three metres away from the vehicle.
As mentioned, we’ve covered the new Isuzu D-Max in detail in our article, 7 things you need to know about the new D-Max.
Isuzu D-Max X-Terrain Key Features:
- 3 litre Turbo diesel engine (4JJ3-TCX) with 140kW and 450Nm, 6-speed auto, 4×4 drivetrain with rear diff-lock
- 3-leaf standard rear suspension
- Leather-accented upholstery with leatherette across interior trims
- Premium leather steering wheel and gear knob
- 8-way power adjustable driver’s seat with power lumbar support
- 9-inch infotainment display with Sat-Nav, Android Auto and wireless Apple CarPlay with 8-speakers
- Remote engine start – embedded with security measures to prevent unauthorised entry and theft
- Smart Entry and Start – smart proximity key allows for true, keyless entry and start/stop at a push of a button
- Walk Away Door Lock – automatically locks when it senses the driver is away from the D-MAX
- Welcome Light – the cabin interior will automatically light up when the Smart key is detected within 2-meters of the D-MAX
- Piano black interior trims with satin silver highlights
- Dark grey metallic treatment throughout: side steps, mirrors, door, tailgate handle, roof rails and fender flares
- Under rail tub liner
- Matt black roller tonneau cover
- Aero sports bar
- Front and rear underbody spoilers
- Front and Rear Park Sensors
- Exclusive Isuzu dark grey metallic front grille
- Exclusive ‘X’ badging
- 18-inch dark grey metallic alloy wheels with 265/60R18 Bridgestone 684II HT
- Available in Marble White pearl, Magnetic Red mica and Volcanic Amber metallic in addition to the standard range of paint finishes
While you’re here subscribe to the MotoFomo Newslette
Sign Up for the latest news, reviews, advice, buying guides and more delivered to your inbox every wee